Saturday, November 9, 2013

Day 6 - Pizza Delivery

We are nearing the end of harvest, I can say that with a smile today.  I'm at that point where I start counting every single acre and continuously recalculating an estimated finish date in my head. It was a good day, not because the yields were good, or because there were no breakdowns, well that helped. I think I can attribute it to the fact that we finally had our first meal in the field together this year.  It's been such a go non-stop hard kind of year that all of the meals so far have been handed over at the foot of a ladder, or left in the seat of an empty cab.  We've missed out on one of my favorite parts of the fall, picnics in the field.

So today when I actually had enough forward thinking to throw a Sam's Club pizza in the oven for 15 minutes and run it to the field along with whatever snacks were in the cabinet and a football, it turned out to be the best meal of the harvest.  I promise you it wasn't my stellar gourmet cooking abilities, that has never been my claim.  2 daughters, 2 cousins, 1 brother-in-law, 3 farm helpers, a husband, and I all gathered to share this pizza and the snacks left in my cupboard.  It was sort of enough, well not really at all, but I had no idea who I was feeding when I left the house.  A few jokes, some razzing for the guy driving the auger cart, a little football, awesome November weather, a hug and kiss, and back to work.  As we were parting, Ted says, "we're going to quit early tonight." Haha, ok farmers and their wives separately, tell me what you would consider "quitting early."  I didn't get my hopes up, but was surprised to see his face at 7:15pm tonight.  He even made an attempt to "spend time with his family" by joining us on the couch for some tv.  We enjoyed mocking his snoring 10 minutes later, and sent him to bed by 8:30pm.  There's a light at the end of the tunnel, we will have our dad/husband back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment